There were no smoke alarms found in the residence of a Pratt woman who recently died after a Jan. 25 fire in her home, which also killed her four children.
Having a working smoking alarm reduces your chances of dying in a fire by nearly half, according to information provided by the Hays Fire Department (HFD).
HFD has a program to install free smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in homes by firefighters at no cost. The combination alarms are part of the “Get Alarmed Kansas” program provided by the State Fire Marshal. They have a sealed 10-year lithium ion battery for easier maintenance and don’t require batteries to be changed twice a year.
“To qualify you have to live within the city limits of Hays and be on a fixed or limited income,” said Firefighter Lucas Everett.
(Read more: Hays Post)