The Harper County department store that for more than a century defied Main Street trends and continued to be a stronghold in customer loyalty, good taste and savvy fashions is closing its doors for the last time.
Jett’s Department Store in Anthony will no longer exist after Sept. 30. In 1912, the W.E. Jett Mercantile Co. in Anthony opened on Main Street. At the time, it was part of a chain of department stores owned by P.H. Parmenter, Frank Parmenter, W.E. Jett, L.D. Farmer, Joe Farmer and Arthur Farmer. The Farmer brothers operated the stores, but the stores were named after Jett and Wood Wholesale Grocery in Wichita.
The first stores opened in 1906 and were centered in the Greensburg and Pratt area. At one time, there was a string of Jetts stores in other Kansas and Oklahoma communities: Herington, Wellington, Kingman, Blackwell, Ponco City and Alva.
The Jett’s store in Anthony was the last one still open.
(Read more: Local News | The Wichita Eagle & Kansas.com)