Kansas bill would require notification if city tries to give away your street

A bill that would require local governments to tell you whether they’re planning to abandon your street for a development project won’t make it through the state Legislature this year, but key stakeholders have agreed to ongoing talks, and it will come back next year, the lawmaker who introduced the measure says.

House Bill 2642 would require notice to neighbors when a city or county gives up, or “vacates,” a section of street. That would allow neighbors to have input before the decision is made.

Under current law, local government doesn’t have to give notice if a street vacation is part of “replatting,” in which a development is spread across several parcels that are combined into a single site.

(Read more: Kansas.com &)

Leave a Comment