Ark City will not be playing “possum” anymore; refers calls to KDWP

The City of Arkansas City will not be playing “possum” anymore, or at least having animal control deal with problem wild animals.
Ark City residents are now urged to contact a licensed specialist to deal with nuisance wildlife instead of the police department.
Police Chief Dan Ward explained that wild animals fall under the jurisdiction of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) and not the city.
The ACPD’s animal control division is not actually licensed to handle wild animals.
“In the past we were going out and trapping wild animals, which we weren’t licensed to do,” Ward said. “And, we were taking work away from people who do this for a business.”

(Read more: The Arkansas City Traveler – news)

Leave a Comment